Country Watchis an online resource database providing country information, news, and forecasts on 195 nation states around the globe. Key publications include the CountryReviews, an up-to-date series of publications for each country, including demographic, political, economic, business, cultural, and environmental information, and the CountryWire, which provides daily news coverage for every country in the world, and a significant news archive made up of compendium and regional news carriers.
Credo Reference is the perfect starting point for any research project! It provides access to full-text articles from over 800 reference books. The content is great for providing general background or introductory information on a topic. The articles can help lead researchers to more detail by searching in subject-specific databases, and to help them refine search terms.
- EBSCO Host’s AAS Historical Collection (Courtesy of the Class of ’54!)
HeinOnline has specifically created the Government, Politics & Lawpackage so universities may replace existing resources for a fraction of the cost. The academic research package features more than 100 million pages of content covering political science, criminal justice, women’s studies, religious studies, and more than 80 other subject areas. With more historical content than any other database, HeinOnline provides access to 300+ years of information on political development and the complete history of the creation of government and legal systems around the world.
JSTORis a great starting point for research projects requiring scholarly/peer-reviewed articles and/or primary sources. It provides access to over 10 million academic journal articles, books, and primary sources in 75 disciplines.
- Newsbank Databases
Newsbankdatabases provide access to primary sources, and are a go-to resource for current events.
- Access World Newsis a comprehensive news collection, ideal for exploring issues and events at the local, regional, national, and international levels.
- America’s Historical Newspapersallows researchers to search via timeline or topic to easily find news articles covering topics in government, politics, social issues, culture, literature discoveries, inventions, and more from hundreds of primary sources.
- Find a Topicallows researchers to find information for research assignments and current issues and events on all topics including education, literature, performing and fine arts, world cultures, social issues, and more.
- Power Library E-Resources
- Our membership with HSLC provides access to all POWER Library electronic resources!
- All users must create a POWER Library ecard number under VFMAC’s account. Click on any of these e-resources, and you’ll be able to create an ecard, login with your ecard, or find your ecard number.
- This includes:
- AP Images
- AP (Associated Press), one of the oldest and largest news organizations in the world, has been capturing the greatest events in world history with photographs, audio sound bites, video, and graphics, for over 185 years.
- Contemporary Authors
- This e-resource provides access to biographical and bibliographical information on more than 145,000 of today’s most influential authors.
- eBooks on EBSCOhost
- This e-resource provides access to over 16,000 eBooks from the world’s leading publishers across all major subject areas.
- This comprehensive e-resource draws on the connections between the environment and a variety of disciplines such as agriculture, education, law, health, and technology.
- Pennsylvania Job Resources
- POWER Library presents sites provided by PA government entities to help with job resources.
- Science Reference Center
- This e-resource contains full text for hundreds of science encyclopedias, reference books, periodicals, and other reliable sources. In addition, it includes more than 280,000 high-quality science images from sources such as UPI, Getty, National Geographic, and the Nature Picture Library.
- Web News
- Web News provides near real-time access to thousands of top news feeds from around the globe. This collection includes over 14,000 feeds covering a range of business and general news topics. Full text can be immediately accessed on the web by following the link in the record.
- AP Images
- ProQuest Databases
- History Study Centeris an ideal resource for history and social studies projects. Content can be searched through study units, maps, and topic overviews.
- Issues Researchercovers pro-con issues.
- Government Reporterprovides access to government documents, and is a great resource for political science.
- Renaissanceis focused on the arts; architecture and design; culture; literature; multimedia; music; performing arts; philosophy and religion; and visual arts.